Blog 2
As a student I have mixed emotions about standards. All throughout school especially middle school and high school I remember learning specific subjects or lessons that I could not see why we needed to learn them. One example that comes to my mind was middle school and high school math. I remember learning some super complex lessons in math such as the quadratic formula or certain aspects of my algebra classes that I new I was not going to use but had to spend a ton of time learning. When I asked my math teacher one year why we had to learn that he just said because we had to and he even knew we wouldn't use it in the future. So in that aspect as a student I sometimes saw standards as pointless.
As a future teacher and after learning more I do think that standards are still important. Specifically content learning standards I think are important and helpful as a teacher to help guide you. They are not necessarily there to tell you every single lesson you have to teach but are there to help give you an idea of what you need to teach about in order to get your students to where they need to be at the end of the year. Although there are some standards that I may not see as necessary I do think they will be helpful as a teacher and guiding me to make sure my students are successful in my class.
I learned a ton about deconstructing the standards that I did not know before. Before this I actually did not know much of anything about deconstructing the standards but it was very helpful to learn about. I learned how to kind of take chunks and pieces of the standards' to figure out learning targets and smaller lessons and smaller goals for teaching the content to my students. The video was super helpful to me in explaining how to figure out the context, skills and nouns. I feel decently confident after learning about them this week, I am hoping I did the first assignment on my unpacking of a standard correct but am ready for feedback and to learn more about standards and lesson planning!

Comments
Post a Comment